28 August 2006

survival of the fittest

it has been two days. i have survived. my feet hurt, tomorrow's lessons aren't planned, and i don't think i'll ever get 3rd period (29 people, 3/4 boys, 3 foreign exchange students) to shut up. but i have survived.

no one has rioted, no one has thrown anything at me, they open their books when i say to.
and they might remember their homework.

my day has consisted of exchanges like this:

me: "what country controlled canada?"
class: silence
me: "what country does canada still give it's allegience to today?"
class: silence
me: "come on, guys, what language do they speak in canada?"
class: silence...look at each other...silence

or this one, with one of my (very few) african american students:

tj: "do you like kool-aid?"
me: "yeah."
tj: "word."
me: "is that a good thing?"
tj: "oh yeah. i've never known any white people who liked kool-aid."

it's going to be an interesting semester.

1 comment:

Rainey said...

What?! What kind of white people does this kid know that they don't like kool-aid!? I'd like to meet these people... then again, maybe I don't.