15 March 2006

pirates sans pants

if you say "pirates sans pants" fast, it kinda sounds like "pirates of penzance". and, finally, it no longer applies to our play.

tonight i created the loudest and ugliest pair of pants i've ever made. doug christened them the "sultan pants". and wanted to know why he doesn't get to wear them. i told him it's because he in no way resembles mr. smee. and i reminded him that he gets to wear the minstrel shirt with what he refers to as the "albatross sleeves" (because their large size is about enough to get him airborne) and he decided he was happy. this conversation happened while he was leaping through the lobby a la mikhail baryshnikov, and attempting to jump and hit the light fixture at the top of the twelve foot doorway. (the scary thing being that he managed to do it. the boy is a human pogo stick.) we also figured out how to make tshirts. this was accomplished by marie stomping out on stage, saying "pat, give me your shirt...yes, the one you're wearing...don't look at me like that", and stomping back into the costume shop and tracing it. and here i was thinking that we needed a pattern.

can i just say that i love production week(s). it's crazy, it's hectic, i don't get sleep, and i'm kind of a bitch half the time (my apologies to my friends, suitemates, and mother), but it's the most fun i have at college. and i adore this cast. the guys are amazingly entertaining, even if they do invade my costume shop in large bunches. it further solidifies in my mind that this is what i want to do for the rest of my life. i can't think of anything else i would want to spend all day doing. it's why i'm designing and student teaching at the same time. it's also why i can't think of graduation without wanting to cry. i would be miserable without the theatre and the people in it. if i could get a professional costuming job, i would never work another day in my life. it would be like getting paid to play.

1 comment:

Rainey said...

I suggest getting into it then. There is nothing worse than being stuck in a job you hate (take it from one who knows). I still get choked up when I think about graduation and leaving the theatre and all those amazing theatre boys. Sigh... ok enough... I don't want to think about it anymore. :-( See you at the play!!