02 March 2006

note on the bathroom mirror

Dear Laura,

Please feed me one pinch of food, once a day.

Love,
Marsiglio of Padua

P.S. I've already eaten today.








i'm going to miss this next year.

so, yeah, it's break and i have the suite to myself. (hence, i'm responsible for keeping my aquatic neighbor alive.) i love being here by myself on the short breaks. this is the one thing i'm definitely looking forward to about graduation: living by myself. being able to throw my stuff on the floor anywhere i want and not having to worry about getting in somebody else's way.

this joy about being alone was increased exponentially by the fact that school was cancelled today!! this is the benefit of student teaching in the middle of nowhere - they are more likely to call off school because of bad weather. some of my friends didn't even have 2 hour delays. that isn't fun. i'm really glad we didn't go, if for no other reason than i was really scared about driving on the ice. that wreck last week really shook me up about driving in snow.

oh yeah. so i got in a car wreck last week. everybody is ok, and fortunately it wasn't my car, but it was quite scary at the time. we were on our way to school and it had snowed real quickly, so the roads got very slushy without warning. we came around a curve and suddenly the cars in front of us had slowed down about 20mph because of a wreck up ahead. j.j. slammed on the breaks and the car started to skid. she tried to recover, but it didn't work. we slid off the road at about 60mph, spun a little on the side of the road, hit a ditch, bounced off in the other direction (the cop said we were airborne), crunched into a guard rail, and then slid up another 50ish feet along the side of the guard rail. i've never seen a rear tire pop off a car sideways, but somehow we managed to do it. it was probably only 10-15 seconds at the most, but it seemed so much longer at the time. i kept bracing myself, waiting for the car to flip over, i was so sure it was going to happen. the next day my right arm hurt because i was hanging on so hard. but everybody was fine, and the car is being fixed. it took the cop over an hour to get there, because there were a bunch of wrecks that morning. there were three others within a mile of us, and superior ambulance was called out for four roll-overs on I-80. the crazy thing was that i was completely calm and collected the whole time, until i called daddy from the side of the road. then i almost started crying. i don't know why, but that's what always happens during a crisis. i'm fine until i talk to him.

anyway, back to today. since i was already up anyway, i decided to take advantage of the day off as much as possible and didn't go back to sleep. i went to pew in the morning, and did some work while j.j. practiced. then i bummed a free lunch ticket off doc, and had lunch. the afternoon involved a fun costume work-session with meagan and lindsey. i worked on the pirate king coat. it is turning out pretty good, if i do say so myself. i'm even topstiching and using interfacing. caitlin would be proud. i was going to do work before dinner, but i slept. then i was going to do work after dinner, but i slept some more. probably a good thing considering how little i've gotten lately. i did get a little of the room cleaned up, but we decided to go to elephant and castle because kevin was hungry, so here i am at 11:00, and i haven't really done much school work today. but, my lessons for tomorrow are done. i'm going to write my two for monday and call it a day. i wish all of life was this relaxing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proud.

-K- said...

Laura, I'm glad you're okay!

And isn't it fun to be there when nobody else is minus the student teaching part. I had a blast last year. My favorite part was that I jogged around the building because nobody was there.