18 December 2008

a new perspective

the past few months i've felt myself slowly descending from adulthood into some weird state that i can't really describe. i used to cook on a regular basis. last week i ate brownies for dinner. i used to pack a normal lunch for myself everyday. at one point in november, my lunch bag contained microwave popcorn, a packet of instant oatmeal, and m&ms. i used to exercise. i haven't been to the gym since may. i used to go to bed at a normal hour. i haven't been to sleep before 2am in weeks. i used to keep my stuff in order. right now, you literally cannot see the floor of my bedroom. i used to be responsible. now i blow my work off all the time.

i was starting to feel like all the giant leaps into adulthood that i had made over the past two years were disappearing. i'm still making sure that my bills get paid on time and that the oil gets changed in the car, sure. but my whole attitude was a little off from what it has been. then, tonight, adiya shed some light on the situation,

"you're a student again. things always go downhill when you're a student."

and she's right. things changed when i started classes in june. and they changed in ways that haven't happened since i left grove city. i don't eat right, i don't sleep enough, and the thought of taking time out of my day to go running just makes me cringe. maybe now that i know the problem, i can slowly start to bring myself back into the world of responsible adulthood.


but i will always be nocturnal...

3 comments:

Mer said...

Oddly enough, I feel the same way since I had kids. The world is much less complicated when you can go to work, leave work at work, and come home and watch TV. But when you have to go to work, go to school, and come home and do homework (or take care of small children 24/7), things slip through the cracks.

Last week, my lunches were usually a handful of chocolate chips, a Mt. Dew, and deli chicken slices eaten straight out of the bag.

Luckily, "eating from all 4 food groups" is not a requirement for eternal salvation.

Marissa said...

Well, let me just say, it only gets worse the older you get. (Sorry!) Think of this time as your "salad days" and savor it, my friend. It may not seem like it, but you have freedom from the more intense responsibilities that lie ahead which may include family, upward mobility in your career, and just the physical process of getting older.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Exercise when you can. You're doing what you have to do right now, and whatever you can't get to, "Oh well!" Someday you'll look back and laugh at the craziness of it all.

Anonymous said...

"i used to keep my stuff in order."

I'm sorry, but I just cannot believe that part, having lived with you ;)

Churro