20 January 2007

veering slightly into domesticity

today life took a turn for the surreal:

i thought about cooking.


no, really, i did. i have discovered a wonderful thing about my school library: free used magazines. granted, they are a few years old, but those of you who are familiar with my decoupage obsession know that i don't actually read the articles in the massive amounts of magazines i collect and cut up. i just want images.

so while in the process of taking an entire laundry basket full of used time, new yorker, and our state magazines back to my classroom, i discovered a year's worth of taste of home. i thought, "hmm...maybe i'll look at these." then tonight when i started looking at them, this wave of domesticity washed over me and i realized that at some point i will have to start cooking dishes more complicated than kraft mac'n'cheese. on a regular basis.

and this realization didn't really bother me.

so strange. anyway, i then proceeded to spend two hours cutting interesting recipes out of the magazines and pasting them to index cards. i even pasted pictures of the finished dishes onto the cards next to the recipe so i could see what they would look like if prepared by someone other than me (or apparently rachel and katie, as rachel's post on 1/16 would indicate).

i'm not quite sure what has come over me. i'm assuming it's a phase that will pass fairly quickly, but until then i'm going to enjoy the idea that i would actually go out of my way to cook something difficult. at least going out of my way in a situation that doesn't involve my mom yelling about how i will go in there and cook that turkey, because she doesn't want to feel like she has failed as a mother because i can't cook anything more complicated than tuna casserole.

No comments: