21 January 2007

avoiding what i should be doing

you know what is really obnoxious? writing a resume.

i hate doing this. it doesn't matter how many gcc career center seminars on the subject i attended while in college, it does not make the process any easier. i still have to spend three hours staring at my computer screen, valiently attempting to make myself sound much more amazing than i really am while simultaneously mentioning enough action verbs and transferable skills to get me a job.

ugh.

part of the problem is that i don't really know how to write a resume for this stage in my career. i do a fantastic job with the"just-finished-college-have-no-real-work-experience-please-please- please-hire-me-i-promise-i-won't-screw-up" variety. but it's the "one-year-in-the-work-force-i-hate-my-job-must-find-another" kind that i'm not sure on. for example: do they really care about college honors and activities? i don't think so. wouldn't it be better to have a section for research skills with military history emphasis? and do i put my real adult teacher job in a different category from my college internships, even though my college internships are much more relevant to the job for which i am applying?

life in the modern world is entirely too difficult. this is merely one of the things on my to-do list which i am avoiding right now.

you know what else is obnoxious? ordering something online, having them bill your credit card, but never actually getting it in the mail.

two days after christmas i ordered a dvd from amazon. except it wasn't from amazon themselves, it was from some other company and i ordered it through amazon. i still haven't gotten the dumb thing, yet the charge has shown up on my credit card bill. very annoying. so i now have to make some futile stab at a) locating the company, and b) locating my movie. growl. this would be yet another thing i'm avoiding doing right now.

No comments: