15 September 2006

sunshine

it has been a glorious day. school was great. as of 6:30 this morning, i had not finished the test i was giving today, nor had i planned the unit i was supposed to start today immediately after they finished their test. so i thought to myself, "hmm...it's movie day". so, instead of forcing my students to do yet another worksheet, we watched the first hour of gods and generals. it's a pretty good movie. but more importantly, it kept them entertained on a friday. i love not student teaching anymore and being able to do things like this. although one of my kids did point out a slight problem with the movie.

stonewall jackson's wife: "it says you are to report as soon as possible to take the corps of cadets from vmi to become part of the army of virginia."
stonewall jackson: "come, let us read before i must go."
cody: "yeah, right. he's leaving for war in half an hour, and they're going to go read."

he has a point.

i probably shouldn't have laughed, but i did. i also starting laughing out loud when the bell rang and tyler did the "it's the end of the day on friday before the weekend" song and dance number across my room and out the door. it involved quite a bit of hand flailing and feet kicking into the air.

the weather the past few days has been gorgeous. by the afternoon it is warm enough for short sleeves, the skies are clear, the colors are bright, and the mountains look amazing. i am stunned every day by how beautiful they are. i don't know why i never noticed before, but since i've moved here, it's all i've been able to look at when i'm driving.

tonight i'm going out to eat with some of my friends from work. bulletin: i have friends! i don't need the friends of the friendless to come get me and sing their song. (i loved that episode.) tomorrow we're going to the mountain state fair. should be fun. it's always a great time seeing what kind of odd things they will fry and/or put on a stick. whenever i see the deep fried moon pies, i can feel my arteries hardening. man, i love the south.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude. I went to this farm market the other day and saw okra. OKRA. I didn't even know that was a plant. I thought it was some kind of like...rice, or something.

I will never get used to the south. If MD even counts as the south.

Although we've made a decision that we're probably moving to VA next year. Proud? I thought so.

Anonymous said...

you might be moving for a boy????? I need to mark this down.

"LAURA BENDS TO TESTOSTERONE AND POSSIBLE LOVE. WHO KNEW THE DAY WOULD COME."