07 December 2007

tales of christmas trees, surgeries, large musical instruments, and other assorted things of that general nature

as i said earlier, we have a christmas tree. and it's beautiful. and i love it. the apartment came to the collective conclusion that we needed one, so the 5'1" roommate (darcy) and the roommate still recovering from surgery (me) hauled a 7.5 foot balsam fir back from home depot. (side note: should it bother me that we got a fairly large proportion of our christmas decorations from home depot? including, but not limited to, the angel on top of the tree, lights, and a victorian st. nicholas. it's like buying all your clothes from sears - the part of me that always feels weird buying my shirts and my power tools at the same place also feels weird buying lumber and christmas decorations at the same place. don't really know why.) thanks to my family's slight obsession with christmas, i, personally, had over 80 ornaments to hang on the tree. then yesterday i bought some fabric and made a christmas tree skirt. the whole thing made me feel very domestic. then i spilled three-quarters of a pitcher of water onto the skirt while watering the tree and everything was right with the world again.

so i had surgery last week on my nose because my Sinus Infection from Hell had gotten so out of control that i was having trouble breathing and talking. and i couldn't sing anymore. so for the first time in three and a half years, i can breathe correctly. it's amazing! things had gotten so bad that i could no longer fathom what it would feel like to be normal again. but now i can breathe, and talk, and sing just fine. the surgery itself wasn't bad, but recovering from the anesthesia took me a good three days. it's been awhile since i've been that tired for such a long period of time.

and now, big news:

i bought a piano!

not a keyboard, not an electric piano, but a real, wooden, stringed, weighs more than everything else in the apartment combined, upright piano. i'm so excited about it. they are delivering it tomorrow. it's not a professional model, but it's definitely nice and will work for me. besides, i can't tell the difference anyway. the same musical part of my brain which is missing and thus keeps me from being able to hear intervals, sing harmony, or tune a french horn also prevents me from being able to tell the difference between a steinway and the piano that's been sitting in your grandma's living room untouched for 35 years. (note that i said the piano at your grandma's. my grandma's piano sounded like saloon piano from a 1920s western, was missing half the ivory, and was permanently marred when my cousin and i decided to label all the keys with a sharpie marker. except instead of writing A - G in a repeating pattern, we wrote A - Z once and just stopped when the alphabet ended. i can definitely tell that the sound was off on that piano.)

anyway, that's about all that's going on in my life. i've met some people through frontline, so i've actually got a social life again. it's really awesome, especially since one of the girls lives in the building next to me. i'm super-busy this whole month. tonight i'm going to a christmas concert and on sunday i'm hearing the Messiah at the kennedy center. i love christmas!

No comments: