14 April 2006

an update

it is now easter break, and i have hijacked my dad's computer long enough to let the world (by which i mean my friends) know what is going on in my life.

i had a wonderful time at uva, where i spent the first weekend of break. many thanks to the lovely boys of phi delta theta for letting me pretend to be a normal college student for once (and for providing untold amusement by illustrating what happens when you combine 20 college guys, 0 flashlights, and a 2 hour power outage - answer: a lot of worrying about the beer, people showering with the door open, and much navigating through the house via the light from cell phone screens). i also got to see my friend jen, who helped me survive a whole summer of bugs, sleeping in the woods, and obnoxious campers. it was great seeing her, we hadn't gotten together for a year and a half. she also took me to an awesome a cappella concert done by a group of guys on campus. i love men's a cappella, just for the record. oh how i wish we had a group at gcc. or really, any type of singing group besides the touring choir (a.k.a. one which sings secular music...and sings in english). no offense to touring choir people, but it is just not my style of music. i find it boring after about fifteen minutes. maybe this makes me a cultural buffoon, but i do not care. the point is, i listened to these guys sing for three hours, and loved every minute of it. on sunday, i hung out with one of my best friends from high school. it was soooo good to catch up with her. the last time i saw any high school friends was memorial day sophomore year. i really need to get together with them more.

the whole weekend really made me think hard about how different my life would have been had i gone to a regular school, and started to make me regret attending good ol' gcc. i mean, i love my friends and i know i've gotten a completely priceless theatre education, but was it worth all the other bullshit, sleepless nights, dumb rules, stress, and unrealistic professors? it's hard realizing that i could have done half the work, gotten twice the gpa, and had a way crazier and exciting time at a normal school. these are not good thoughts to be having a month before graduation.

it all really comes back to my friends, though. i wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.

the rest of my break has mainly been spent sleeping (as in about 10 hours a day - should i feel guilty that i've been completely lazy instead of helping others on an ico? probably) and attending jv girls softball games. it's been great seeing carol play, weird seeing her on third base instead of behind home plate like she's been for the past seven years, and really strange to have someone i'm related to playing on a high school sports team. with the exception of the quad cousins, who i think recieved basically every ounce of athletic talent for the entire family (both sides), my family has not been even remotely athletic. our endeavors are basically limited to midget soccer in the second grade, and the cousin who is a competition ballroom dancer. (is that a sport?) so having a sister playing for the high school has been a change.

i've also graded a few papers, corrected a few tests. oh yeah. just so everyone is clear, genocide was the last battle of world war two, and winston churchill was the leader of the soviet union. also, we fought the japanese at d-day. not the germans. i feel like my kids have gone to the bluto blutarski school of history. at least they all knew that hitler was a bad guy. why do i even bother? i've tried to do some lesson plans ahead of time, but i realized that i left all of my materials/worksheets/etc at school (along with my job interview contact information, my placement file application, my certification application, and all of my tax paperwork - last thursday was not one of my better packing moments), so the effort has been deemed pointless.

i'm starting to get myself psyched up for graduation. i still don't want to leave people, but i'm starting to work myself in a more happy mood about the whole thing. i'll elaborate more on this later.

No comments: