05 January 2006

grocery shopping with 2nd lieutenants

so i'm back at home. the train ride was ok, just long. and the whole "not announcing the train station ahead of time" thing was great fun. fortunately i spotted the smoke stack at mary wash in time to grab my stuff and bolt for the door.

i'm not really doing much. shopping for christmas presents (yeah, i know, i know), working on my quilt, working on my designs for pirates (i agree with neil - so excited about that show). i tried to get some work done ahead of time for student teaching, but there's really not much i can do without knowing how she has been teaching them all year. it is so hard to remember how things worked in 8th grade. oh well.

i went to the commissary this morning for my mom. that was an adventure. gotta love the military grocery store right after the holidays. it was packed. full of moms with little kids and second lieutenants buying frozen pizza and ramen in bulk. (for those of you non-versed in military terms, a 2nd lieutenant is the first level of officer in the marine corps, usually age 22-24 and in their first year or two out of college.) i had to laugh at them, attempting to feed themselves for the first time in their lives. there wasn't anything in their carts that couldn't be cooked in a microwave. and they would shop in packs, too, like they were scared to come alone and needed moral support to buy hot pockets and chef boyardee. i do find it ironic, however, that the one time i go to that base in a sweatshirt and no makeup is the time that i spend 15 minutes in line behind three very hot 22 year old officers. sigh...

i probably won't get to update very often for the rest of break, because thanks to a) the stupidity of my computer, and b) the lovely dial-up connection we have here at the house, i have to use my dad's computer. the really-expensive-classified-information-hours-of-work-don't-you-dare-break-it one. yeah. limited internet time.

anywho, i hope everyone's break is going swimmingly. and megs - so psyched about the gilmore girls marathon we're going to have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I distinctly remember 8th grade.

It was a time when I was very ugly, very awkward, and very nerdy.

I think it may have been the worst middle school year of my life.

So you can run all your lesson plans by me. Because I remember the trauma of 8th grade.